Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

Who is a person "who worked long enough under social security"

Customer Question

who is a person "who worked long enough under social security" ? Item in quotes as noted in a social security site pertaining to survivor planning.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
This phrase is found in many areas of the law. Social Security, being an insurance we pay for, requires that we pay sufficient premiums, for lack of a better word, before we gain "insured status". We pay our SS taxes on working income (earnings); after we earn the first 1230 or so in the year, we earn 1 credit. 3 more of those amounts, we have earned all for credits possible or the given year. By the time we are 62+, in order to be insured for SS retirement benefits on our work record, we must have earned 40 credits. This requires a minimum of 10 years, of course, if someone earns 4 credits per year, although it can be earned over a longer time frame, if someone, say, works so little each year he only earns 2 credits/year - then it will take him 20 working years to gain that insured status. So who is the Person who "worked long enough under social security - everyone who gets paid SS (retirement or disability) on his/her own record, has "worked long enough under social security"; others who are not yet old enough for retirement, nor disabled, may also have worked long enough under social security so that are insured, but not yet eligible for their benefits (because not yet of retirement age, or not disabled, etc.)
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!