Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

What would I need to do to apply to S. S. to receive my benefits

Customer Question

What would I need to do to apply to S. S. to receive my benefits in one lump sum.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. This is not true regarding the changes that go into effect on May, 2016. These changes only affect the spousal benefit (50% benefit based on your spouse's benefit) as it relates to the "file and suspend" and "restricted benefit". You cannot currently elect to take a lump sum in place of your social security benefits, this was the case before and after the May 1 changes made by HR1314. There are ways to receive a lump sum by suspending your benefits at age 66 but these only replace benefits you receive between the suspension and your election (for example at age 68 where you would receive 2 years of back benefits from ages 66-68). So the May 1 changes will not effect this as you cannot receive a lump sum in the way you want to. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?