Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband and I are both retired and drawing social security.

Customer Question

My husband and I are both retired and drawing social security. We have 2 minor children who are also receiving retirement benefits. The oldest child is 17, turns 18 in Sept, but is only in the 11th grade so she will receive benefits until she's 19 from what we understand. She is now in state custody, living in a foster home. We have received a letter from SS telling us they are sending her benefits check to her starting this month. We want to know how to remove her from receiving benefits.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply. Unfortunately, unless she is mentally incapacitated and unable to handle her own funds, as an adult, she will get her own benefits. However, if you have reason to believe she can't responsibly handle them you CAN report that to the SSA and it can decide to give her a Representative Payee - likely her foster parent, to handle her money for her expenses.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!