How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13507
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are both retired and drawing social security.

Customer Question

My husband and I are both retired and drawing social security. We have 2 minor children who are also receiving retirement benefits. The oldest child is 17, turns 18 in Sept, but is only in the 11th grade so she will receive benefits until she's 19 from what we understand. She is now in state custody, living in a foster home. We have received a letter from SS telling us they are sending her benefits check to her starting this month. We want to know how to remove her from receiving benefits.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply. Unfortunately, unless she is mentally incapacitated and unable to handle her own funds, as an adult, she will get her own benefits. However, if you have reason to believe she can't responsibly handle them you CAN report that to the SSA and it can decide to give her a Representative Payee - likely her foster parent, to handle her money for her expenses.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!