Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

How can I receive my wives Social Security ?We have been married

Customer Question

How can I receive my wives Social Security ?We have been married since 2004. I am 77years of age, she is 72 years old. Her S.S. is a lot higher then mine. How do I file for? reverse add spouse
for reverse
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
OK, remember that a spousal benefit is a max of 50% of your spouse's primary insurance amount. So you will only want to apply for it IF that amount is bigger than your own. It may be less than 50% if you took early retirement, because that reduction carries over. You can try filing for the spousal via --> Benefits --->Applying for Retirement. However, if that is bogged down, you will go in person to your local field office with your photo ID, your birth certificate, your marriage certificate. If you are unsure if spousal will be worth switching to, they will tell you on the spot.Remember that you don't get both benefits, but only 1, so it will be the higher of the two.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!