Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

If I ask benfits does my husband still get his

Customer Question

if I ask for spousel benfits does my husband still get his full benefit and I am 62 and on disibilty and have medicare will I still be able to get medicare
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
OK, if you file for spousal benefit, you will only get it IF it is bigger than your own benefit. Also, if you file for it at any time before your full retirement age, it will not be 50% of your spouse's Primary Insurance Amount, but could be as low as 35% of that. Typically, although you'll have to decide what you want, it is best to stay with your SSD until it turns in to your FRA SS retirement when you hit your FRA. And no, if you do collect a spousal benefit, it does not get taken from your husband's amount - it is separate, in addition to his. You only get one benefit amount, so you can't take SSD or your own SSR AMOUNT, and add to it the spousal amount. You get the highest of the eligible benefits amounts (although it can be paid partially from each source).
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!