Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I recently married (Nov 2015) and when we filed taxes there

Customer Question

I recently married (Nov 2015) and when we filed taxes there was supposed to be a return. The IRS sent a letter stating that the return was applied to what was owed by my wife from 2004 and 2005. Her then husband ran the company and she was not aware of the tax bills. Since their divorce, she was involved in an accident and was disabled and on social security. She never received a refund due to this since the divorce. Now the IRS is wanting payment (over $8,000). They took my 2015 refund but I applied for the injured spouse to get it back. My question is, How can my wife get this debt from the IRS off of her? She has no individual income and is disabled and was not a principle in the company that this tax is owed from. Her ex husband is alive and working and can pay the bill.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Why is IRS coming after her instead of her ex husband?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess they have been trying to collect from both but my wife has never received any correspondence from them until now.
Thank you for the information. My suggestion would be for her to file for Offer in-Compromise to see if the debt can be forgiven. In the meantime, you should refrain from filing joint tax returns until the issue is resolved. Unfortunately, her Social security disability benefits be garnished for the unpaid tax.