Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I will be 64 in July. I currently draw a public pension in

Customer Question

I will be 64 in July. I currently draw a public pension in the amount of 4186 monthly. During my employment in County government, I paid into social security. My question is, will this pension affect my social security benefits ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Steve, no, if you paid SS taxes on that employment that produced your pension, WEP will not apply to correct any mis-estimate you were provided as to your future benefit from SS. It only applies to situations where worker did not pay SS taxes on that work, but wants SS benefits based on that very work.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!