Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

If i am receiving disability benefits and I am the legal

Customer Question

If i am receiving disability benefits and I am the legal guardian to a minor child would I qualify for extra benefits for that child?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Unfortunately, he child is not due a SS dependent benefit on your record, since he still has two parents, presumably, and we only get two, generally, that we can be dependents of for SS purposes. However, if you decide to adopt the child and become his/her legal parent, then your child will take a dependent benefit. For now, the avenue of gaining additional support for him is to go after his legal parents and sue them for child support - or so the theory goes.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!