Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My husband is 13 years older than I. He is collecting SS and

Customer Question

My husband is 13 years older than I. He is collecting SS and still working. I was working buy laid off at 63 and had to sign up for ss. I collect $778 and he collects $1655. Can I change to spousal support benefits. ***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Dee, if a spousal benefit is of more value to you than your own, yes, you can collect it. However, when you applied early, if you were already eligible for spousal (such as if your H had already filed for his own, triggering your spousal eligibility on his record), then the SSA already determined that your own was of more value than spousal - or should have. It is never a bad idea to double check though, because it could be a few more bucks in your pocket each month if they erred if your H had not been collecting when you first applied.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!