Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I receive social security and a ssi disability check. Can i

Customer Question

I receive social security and a ssi disability check. Can i work. How much income can i receive and still have my disabiliity income.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

How old are you please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

OK, for the finding of disabled to not be lost (which would have you lose both SSI and SSD), your work needs to be very minimal, with an absolute cap of $1090/mo that I'd never come close to. It must also NOT be inconsistent with what you have claimed (and won) your disability on. So no bailing hay part time at a farm if you have a bad back, that sort of thing. I'd keep the hours to well less than 10/week and of course, ensure the pay never grosses more than $1090.

IN addition, SSI will be reduced after the first $65 earned per month - to the tune of $1 for every $2 earned. SO you want to make sure your SSI does not get to zero any month, as you may lose any Medicaid associated with it.

So is working possible? Yes. But you must be very careful and thoughtful about it.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!