Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

My wife passed away. we both was drawing ss my check was

Customer Question

my wife passed away . we both was drawing ss my check was slighly larger . I call the ss office my ss will increase by 21 . should I get more from her ss . I have read that I should draw hers as well as mine .
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

The information that you received about getting two separate benefits is not correct. If you are receiving benefits and also qualify for survivor benefits, you would get combination of the benefits that total a higher amount, and not both. That's probably why SSA's office told you that your benefits would increase by $21.00, which would be a combination of the two benefits that total a higher amount. For more information, click here.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.