Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

My 35 year old son received $10,000+ SSI Benefits in 2015

Customer Question

My 35 year old son received $10,000+ SSI Benefits in 2015 for a qualified mental disability. The lump-sum payments were retroactive to August 2014. He had no other income at all. My reading indicates none of the benefits are taxable. Is this correct? Are there any special reporting requirements?
My son lived with me the entire year 2015. So I have provided more than 50% his support for 2015. My intent is to file as HOH and claim him as a dependent on my 1040. Does his SSI impact MY return in any way. I will be filing as married filing separately since my divorce will not be final until April.
Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

If the total benefits received do no exceed $25,000.00 for a single individual, the benefits will not be taxable. Social Security benefits are not regarded as income when the total amount of the benefits is less than $25,000.00 and thus not taxable. So, whether you can include the amount received as income would depend on the amount of the benefits received. For more information, see Publication 915 and 501:

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very helpful. What about part two of my question?

Whether the SSI will impact your return would depend on the amount of the taxable benefits and your exemptions and deductions. If you have exemptions and deductions that offset the taxable benefits amount, then there is little impact. Otherwise, there would be.