LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My wife died on February 24, 2016! When does her checks

Customer Question

My wife died on February 24, 2016! When does her checks stop. She received her last check on the fourth Wednesday of the month...which was on February 24th. Further, is it true that the last payment a person receives is in the month beyond their death? Thank you!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon Anthony,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As your wife passed February, and because social security benefits are paid in arrears, the payment that arrived in February may be kept. If another payment arrived in March, then it needs to be returned to social security.

A person is not eligible for a social security benefit in the month that they die. So the last payment they receive will be in the month of their passing, not the month following.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,