dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My name is: Laszlo A Papp Social Sec No; 580-17-5016 AS a

Customer Question

Good Morning.
My name is***** Social Sec No;###-##-####
AS a Swedish Citizen I have lived in Sweden from 1956.
Worked and lived there till 1982. I lived in the US-Virgin Islands I married a US citizen and got a green card. I worked from 1982 - 2015 and filed tax returns. In 2012 at age of 66.
I applied for social security. On the application vas questions where I worked and my earnings. I put down that I have worked in Sweden and my earnings. I got a surprise when my first pension amount and statement arrived. There was a statement that because I worked in one other country and did not pay taxes on it my pension was reduced by almost half. I have tried several times to explain to the persons in the Social Security offices, that I was a Swedish Citizen when I earned those wages. And have paid Taxes on that to Swedish government. Every time I try to explain this I got referred to a
"Windfall Elimination Provision" publication. When I read the first 11 lines of that provision it was clear that dose not apply to me. When pointing out that I as Swedish citizen have paid taxes on what I earned in Sweden, nobody so far has realized the mistake that the US social security administration done. I believe I the US pension I suppose to get should not be reduced by earnings I made as a foreign Citizen and paid taxes for. Please Help me Clear up this mistake. Respectfully ***** *****
My address is:***** Loudon TN###-##-#### *****:***@******.***
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good morning Laszlo,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 3 decades and I handle social security issues. I am very familiar with the social security WEP. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What specifically makes you believe that the WEP does not apply to you? What 11 lines are you referring to?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personalized phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Doug