lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I was born in 1935 do I qualify forincrease in my ssi

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.

Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.

The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings.

They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.

Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most.

And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 7 months ago.

So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.

Also additional years of earning might increase your benefits.

If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration.

Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations.