LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I just received a notice that they are terminating my son's

Customer Question

I just received a notice that they are terminating my son's survivors benefits that he has been receiving since his father's death. The letter said the benefits stop at 16, but I thought it was 18. What is going on?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your son' survivor benefits will continue to be paid until he is at least 18, and if still in high school as long as age 18 and 2 months, the caregiver benefit that you are receiving ends at age 16. Social Security has made the decision that parents of 16 year old's need a lot less raising and so they end the caregiver benefit when the child turns 16.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug