Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

MY husband passed away 2 years ago. I was told I could not

Customer Question

MY husband passed away 2 years ago. I was told I could not get his benefit as my
pension from a school district was more than his benefit. I would like to know if there is any way I can gett the money he worked for'
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Hi - I'm so sorry to have to be the messenger here, but maybe I can help you feel better that there IS a government pension offset and help you understand how it works:

...

If you receive a pension from a federal, state, or local government based on work for which you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, Social Security does reduce your Social Security spouses or widows benefits.

...

They reduce your Social Security benefits by two-thirds of your government pension.

...

In other words, if you get a monthly state teachers pension of $600, two-thirds of that, or $400, must be deducted from your Social Security benefits. For example, if you’re eligible for a $500 spouses, widows or widowers benefit from Social Security, you’ll get $100 a month from Social Security ($500 – $400 = $100).

...

So what's probably happening here is that 2/3 of your benefit reduces what you would from them as a survivor benefit to zero.

...

I give you a link for the fact shee that Social Security publishes about this in a minute, but here's what Social Security says about WHY they do this: (by the way there have been several bills in congress to change this, butat this point the government pension offset still exists).

...

here's what they say:

...

"Benefits we pay to spouses, widows, and widowers are “dependent’s” benefits. Set up in the 1930s, these benefits were to compensate spouses who stayed home to raise a family and were financially dependent on the working spouse. It’s now common for both spouses to work, each earning their own Social Security retirement benefit. The law requires a person’s spouse, widow, or widower benefit to be offset by the dollar amount of their own retirement benefit."

...

Here's the link to the Social Security flyer on this:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

...

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all

....

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, rating request, or faces on your screen) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit me for the work here. But please let me know if you still have questions.

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Did you see my answer?