Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

If a person is divorced and they do not remarry, are they

Customer Question

If a person is divorced and they do not remarry, are they entitled to their previous spouse's social security benefits? Would a person only collect after their previous spouse has passed away or while they are still alive? Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

How long of a marriage did this person have?

Also, how old is this person?

How old is his/her ex spouse?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HI Stephanie.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Married 27 years. Both are 56
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My partner and I are considering getting married and want to make sure we both understand all the financial realities involved.

OK, if you get married, no, you can't collect on your prior spouse's record while he/she is alive - this is because you are not now his/her dependent. If you become unmarried again, then you can.

The same is true if your ex dies - you can't collect a divorced widow(er) benefit if you are remarried, UNLESS that marriage occurs after age 60 or it ends.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Also, note that if your OWN benefit record is greater than your ex's, you won't want to be taking a spousal or widow(er) benefit anyway, since yours would trump it. So it may be a non-issue.