LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

Can a W2 be issued with an employers social security number

Customer Question

Can a W2 be issued with an employers social security number in place of the EIN if the EIN wasn't effective yet?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If so, do would the basic W2 form still be used & where would I place the employers SS# ***** place of the EIN on the form?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon Jane,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As a business operator if you need to issue a W-2 Form before you obtain an EIN you can use your social security number in place of the EIN.

You will place your SSAN in box "b" where it asks for the employer EIN.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,