Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I'm nonresident alien with authorization to work. I'm 68 and

Customer Question

Hi, I'm nonresident alien with authorization to work. I'm 68 and still working to survive.
I'm entitled to social security benefits from April 2016.
Can I claim my SS pension as one lump sum amount?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.

What are you appealing? Did they agree you are entitled to your SS for each month you are eligible, or no?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have received letter from SSA that I'm entitled to monthly retirement benefits beginning April 2016.
I'm appealing "monthly payment". Instead, I want to get pension in one Lump sum payment, and move back to my country,
because with this monthly payment I will not survive in the USA

Oh, OK, well you unfortunately can not do this. This is because surviving EACH and every month is a pre-requisite to being OWED a dime for that month. (There are other prerequisites too, such as not being in prison, not being a fleeing felon, etc., but the "being alive" thing is most obvious.) Since you can not establish proof that you will be alive in any month past the most recent month, you there are no future benefits owed you at all. ERgo, there can be no present-valued lump sum of such benefits, since none are owed you. As of now, you are eligible but not entitled to any future payments. This is why, in case you weren't aware, that your April 2016 benefit will not be owed and then paid you until you have survived April - and so it will be paid in May to you.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!