Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I want to retire but I need to know will I lose my survivor

Customer Question

I want to retire but I need to know will I lose my survivor benefits
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 6 months ago.

What do you mean 'retire'. So you mean start collecting Social Security on your OWN work record? Or do you simply mean, stop working?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Collecting on my own

Thank you. My name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do.

We are all only allowed 1 benefit amount - so when we become eligible for more than one, we are allowed to pick the one we want, but we don't get to collect more than one. You will want to determine if your own benefit is bigger than your survivor benefit.

Also, if you are not yet 70, know that if you continue to refrain from taking your OWN benefit, it will be 32% bigger than had you taken it at 66 - and if that then makes it bigger than survivor benefit, even if it was not bigger before, you can switch to that increased amount of your own.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!