How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask eacfp Your Own Question
eacfp, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  Enrolled Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
eacfp is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will turn 66 on Jan. 22, 2018, but I want to retire March

Customer Question

I will turn 66 on Jan. 22, 2018, but I want to retire March 31, 2017 at 65 + 2 months. How can I figure out what my monthly payment would be drawing at 65 vs. waiting until I'm 66? Your guidance will be appreciated. Thank you - Stephanie
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  eacfp replied 11 months ago.

Since you would be collecting 10 months early, your benefit would be 94.4% of your full benefit amount at age 66.

Expert:  eacfp replied 11 months ago.

Expert:  eacfp replied 11 months ago.

For example, if your projected benefit at age 66 would be $1,000 a month, at age 65 and 2 months it would be reduced to $944.00.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 11 months ago.


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you very much. I will check the ss site you recommended.
Expert:  ShawnA replied 11 months ago.
Pls rare my answer. Thx. By accessing his Social Security site and inputting different retirement ages you'll find out the dollars
Expert:  eacfp replied 10 months ago.

If you have not received a copy of your social security statement in the mail in the past several years and don't want to go online set up an account by establishing a user ID and password ***** answering certain questions, then you can request a current copy of your statement by completing Form SSA-7004 and mailing it to the Social Security Administration. Here's a copy of the form that you can download -