ShawnA
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
15641319

I was notified in January of 2016 that my monthly benefit

Customer Question

I was notified in January of 2016 that my monthly benefit would be less in the comin g year because of a monumental increase in income. This was not the case. Ihad bought a life insurance policy on my son, upon the death of my first husband in January of 1988. The agent from New York Life lied, and that is not the crux of the ptoblem. Anyway, when loans, interests, etc. compounded I was to pay to New York Life in the amount of over $300,000.00. I cancelled the policy, and NYLIC sent to the IRS & me a W-2, or 1099, (I'm not sure which) showing the loan as income. I appealed the SSA's decision, and took a letter from New York Life, a copy of my 2015 return, and a form showing that it was NOT income, & therefore should have no impact on my monthly benefit, to my local SSA office here in Jacksonville, Florida. This was all done in January of this year (2016). I was told that a decision would be made within 30 days....riiight....and I have checked twice on the status of my appeal, and told I would hear within a week to 10 days....again no response. My name is Martha **********,and my SS # ***** ********. I am 76 years of age, and collecting benefits on my deceased second husband, Hon. *********. Can you tell me what the status of my appeal is?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ShawnA replied 9 months ago.

I have bad news. The time they take is unbelievable. The fact that they say 30 days is incorrect. I agree they say it yet it can take over a year,