Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

I collect social security deceased husband.. I made less

Customer Question

I collect social security for my deceased husband.. I made less than 12000.00 last year do I have to file a income tax statement?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Are you saying you made less than 12,000 in ADDITION to collecting SS income?

Also, how much is your gross SS income for the year?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no I ONLY made less than 12,000.00 for the year (social security from deceased husband) TOTAL!!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
haven't gotten my answer yet??????????????????

Thank you for returning - As you can see from above, I interacted with you at 5:35, but you (understandably) did not come back and I had to go about my regular law office day. But I am happy to help you now.

At 12,000 in total income, all from SS, there should be no federal taxation on your SS benefits. So, while I'd discuss with my tax preparer the benefits of a quick tax return, you typically would not be IRS required to do so. That said, I always think filing is important for statute of limitations purposes, as it can start the running of the time after which the IRS can't 'accuse' you of failing to report some "alleged" income. If you never file a return, that time period never ends.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!