dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My husband and I are both retired, and we both receive

Customer Question

My husband and I are both retired, and we both receive social security benefits. I am a retired teacher with 45 years of service, and I draw on contributions I made while in the teaching profession. My husband is a retired a Shell Oil executive with 27 years of service, and he of course draws on contributions he made while employed with Shell Oil. I recently was told that my husband and I could both draw benefits on his account account. Is that true?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Your say that both of you are already collecting a social security benefit. I presume that you are getting a decreased social security benefit based on the fact that you have a teacher's pension that while working there, you didn't pay into social security. Is this correct?

2. What is your husband's age and his monthly benefit from social security?

3. What is your monthly teacher's pension?

Doug