Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been hearing dire warnings about SS beginning May

Customer Question

I have been hearing dire warnings about SS beginning May ist. I bought a book that had 28 scenarios described that could raise your SS receipt. None of them fit my situation: I am approaching my 86th birthday, limited to job opportunities because I am QUITE crippled in my right foot and ankle but I get around well with a cane drive and still have a part time job that supplements my SS but I need a little more help each month==$300 to five hundred would help me to continue my life with0ut drastic change or an unwelcome move. Have you any suggestion for me to pursue . I have looked at more than a hundred different "work at home" schemes and been bitten by two or three. I'm rather the ropes at this point. Thanks for your interest. Leland Wade, Connecticut
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question.

What is your specific question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I thought I had asked for any suggestion you might have for me after writing my paragraph. I think my most direct question would be: at 86 and quite crippled can Social Security do anything by way of any increase?

Thank you for the information.

Please ignore the "dire warnings" that you have been receiving. There are lots of scammers out there trying to take advantage of the most vulnerable and people on fixed income.

Social Security Administration cannot increase your benefits apart from the yearly Cost of Living Adjustments ("COLA")

If you are already collecting benefits, the new law that goes into effect in April 30, 2016 does not affect you. The new law will not take away your benefits or any benefits that you are entitled to. The new law essentially deals with two strategies some retirees were using to maximize their benefits namely: file and suspend and restricted spousal application.

File and suspend deals with when both husband and wife have reached their full retirement age. One would file and suspend his benefits so that the other would apply for spousal benefits only. Then the other spouse would apply for benefits when he reaches age 70. This would maximize their benefits. Under the new law, this loophole has been closed. So, when a spouse files and suspends, all benefits would be suspended preventing his spouse from applying under his earnings.

The other one is restricted spousal application where one spouse can elect just to apply for spousal benefits only and then apply for her own benefits later. This would no longer be allowed for any one that has not turned age 62 by the end of December 2015.

As for additional benefits that you may be eligible for, have you tried your State's Department of Transitional Assistance? This would be your State's Welfare Office. They may have assistance for such thing as fuel assistance. If you give me the name of your State, I can check the information for you.