Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

SSA did not record my earnings of $5,761 and $18,518 from my

Customer Question

SSA did not record my earnings of $5,761 and $18,518 from my 2001 and 2002's W2, $24,279 in total. It'll impact my retirement benefits. The reason the ssa failed to add the earnings on because they said "there were no social security wages, medicare wages and tips withheld" on their letter 03/18/16.
I reported the two earnings. Even if there were no social security wags and medicare wages and tips withheld on the W2s, (which is not my fault, it was the company made the mistake) I paid the tax for the two years, IRS has the record. The ssa should have added the earnings on my record because my retired benefit is determined by my earnings not "withheld".
I disagree what ssa said. May I appeal a hearing. I need your help.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

You can appeal from the SSA's determination. If IRS has a record of the Social Security taxes being withheld, the SSA should adjust your record. You can go back to your local SSA's office and asked to be given a form for the appeal

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1,What if they say that they have no record? sure they will say that. 2,What should I do? what should I need as evidence, besides the W2? because they ignore my W2. They refused to adjust the earnings just because there were no numbers on "withheld", but I did pay the tax for that two years by using a tax service company. 3, In worst case, the tax service company forgot to report the "Withheld" tax for me, can I pay them now the "withheld" tax which should have been on the W2s and have the earnings readjusted? 4, Can IRS record work for this case?

If the tax service company forgot to report the withheld taxes to IRS, then regrettably, I do not see any way that SSA can adjust your contributions. You cannot pay the forgotten withheld taxes now.

I was working under the premise previously that the information was properly reported to the IRS.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The IRS has my complete earnings record for these two years include the earnings on that two year's W2. I obtained the printout from them, is the record from the IRS helpful.