How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3440
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been collecting my SS since I turned 62..I'm now 65. My

Customer Question

I've been collecting my SS since I turned 62..I'm now 65. My husband is 70 (almost71) and is collecting his. I receive $575.00 per month...he receives $1785.00 per month. Someone told me that I can freeze my payments and collect on his seeing as how he has a larger payment. I understand that I must do this soon as it will go away by May 1.
is this true?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  eacfp replied 1 year ago.

When did your husband begin collecting?

Expert:  eacfp replied 1 year ago.

The May 1 deadline only applies to those over 66 who want to file and suspend their benefits in order to have their benefit amount increase by 8% a year while permitting their spouse to begin collecting spousal benefits. Since your husband is already collecting it is a moot point.