LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am 67 and collecting ss. how would i go about applying

Customer Question

good morning,
i am 67 and collecting ss. how would i go about applying for a lump sum payment from ss?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Jack,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

There is a tremendous amount of misleading information as well as outright misinformation floating around the internet and on radio and TV about the recent changes in the law. In reality the changes effect only a very small percentage of Americans and they relate to a spouse benefit.

A lump sum retirement benefit is only available to someone who has never applied for their benefit before and who is at least 66 1/2 year old. The retroactive aspect of the benefit is limited by law to 6 months.

As you are already collecting social security benefits, I'm sorry but a lump sum benefit is not available to you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I deleted my card number because I decided against paying 32.
If you charged me refund for I did not submit and agree to pay 32.
Did not expect an answer as I didn't.
I went to for my answer instead.