Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can you help me get more benefits per month, i only have ss

Customer Question

can you help me get more benefits per month, i only have ss coming in each month
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my husband died last year, i am over 65, alone, and don't have any
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question - my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today.

How are you doing?

I understand you would like some more benefits. Your benefit amount will be the larger of your benefit or your deceased spouse's benefit. You only get one benefit - and that's the one that is larger.

If you have work where you did not pay into social security (such as government service under CSRS) -- your spousal benefit will be reduced by 2/3 of your pension due to the Govenrment Pension Offset.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.