LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am a 62 year old single women (will be 63 in Dec. 2016).

Customer Question

I am a 62 year old single women (will be 63 in Dec. 2016). After 35 years in corporate sales, I am now unemployed (and without medical insurance coverage). Is there anything related to social security planning that I should be doing now before actually qualifying for benefits at age 65?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Beverly,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, you qualify right now at age 62 for an early social security benefit if you want to apply for it. 65 is not an age that has any social security benefit aside from Medicare.

Based on the fact that you are single, there is nothing that you need to do now, or in the near future, to protect your social security retirement benefits. The next act you will need to take is to apply for Medicare about 3 months before you reach age 65.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Beverly,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug