LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My purse was stolen last week with my wallet in it. The

Customer Question

My purse was stolen last week with my wallet in it. The purse and some of the contents were returned today. Included in the cards that were returned is my social security card. Is there anything that I should do about this since it has clearly been in the hands of thieves?
Constance Davenport
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Connie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I certainly empathize with the angst and frustration that you must be feeling after having been a victim of theft. This happens to so many people and while it is good to be concerned, there are several things that can be done, even now to protect yourself. Let me explain.

While a social security number may have been stolen, you can prevent the use of that number for fraudulent purposes by freezing the credit of the person whose number has been fraudulently obtained. That way the credit reporting companies will not provide credit scores for new loans, credit cards etc. unless they first get your permission, so long as the freeze is in place. You will want to contact the three main reporting agencies and have the reporting frozen.

Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score, alert creditors to a possible fraud using your name, or for any other reason:
Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or(###) ###-####(fraud); P.O. Box 740241,Atlanta, GA 30374; www.equifax.com
Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013,www.experian.com.
TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or(###) ###-####(fraud); P.O. Box 2000,Chester, PA 19022; www.transunion.com.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug