LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am 83. I applied benefits at age 65. I receive 1,260 per

Customer Question

I am 83. I applied for ss benefits at age 65. I receive 1,260 per month. Am I going to see a decrease in my benefits.
Also, when I started work I worked under the name of Joanne Polvinale, which was my grand parents last name and they raised me and I used that name until I took my fathers name which was on my birth certificate which was Coppock, I then worked under Joanne Coppock.. Years later when I was married I started using my name as Helen Joanne C Satmary, however, it should be Helen Johanna C Satmary. Years ago it did not seem to matter if you changed your name or spelling to your liking but I now want to make sure I have not lost any monies due to these changes.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good evening Helen,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While there have been some changes to social security law in the past 6 months, none of them are going to effect an 83 year old who has been receiving their benefits for more than a decade. Your retirement benefit will continue to be the same as it always has and hopefully this year we will also see a COLA increase as well.

You are fine. Your social security benefit is not at risk of being lowered.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,