LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

At age 65 I filed and told them I was going to keep working

Customer Question

at age 65 I filed for SS and told them I was going to keep working and they said how much will I make, I said around $25,000, so I received a lower amount, but was told when I hit 66, I start receiving a larger amount because I had hit full retirement, is this information correct
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Because you may earn an unlimited about of income after 66 and you are still entitled to your full social security benefit, yes that is correct. If social security and you agreed to have to take a lesser benefit because of the money that you were earning, then yes, your benefit will go back up to the normal age 65 benefit as soon as you reach age 66.

The law for early retirement is as follows:

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, social security will deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2016, that limit is $15,720.

In the year you reach full retirement age, social security will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit. In 2016, the limit on your earnings is $41,880 but they only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug