Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My first husband passes away a few years ago. We had divorv

Customer Question

My first husband passes away a few years ago. We had divorv ed after almost e0 years. We both remarried. My ex mother in law said I might be eligible widow benefits. She was able to collect from her ex husband after he died even though they both had remarried because of the amount of time they had been married. Is this possible? I am 61 years old. Thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Patricia, if you remarried after age 60, you can collect a survivor benefit off of your earlier spouse despite no longer being dependent (due to remarriage). But if you remarried before age 60, you can not. It is not a matter of length of marriage (which rerquires 10 years), but when you remarried. Remarriage, except for those after 60, causes you to not be dependent on prior husband, because you have a new one. Instead, you have a new eligibility for spousal under your new spouse, if that is worthwhile. If your new marriage ended, yes, you could then access your deceased husband's record, but not while married if the marriage started before age 60.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional