Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Spousal benefits. I signed up in 1997. I see where they are

Customer Question

Spousal benefits. I signed up for SS in 1997. I see where they are repealing section 331 which says ..automatically deems a claimant who applies for benefits to have applied for spousal benefits to which he or she is eligible. I check into spousal benefits for my wife and was told that my sign up time was recent and they could only go back 6 months to determine benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

If someone is filing for spousal benefits, it is true that they can never go back further than 6 months, yes, in terms of retro payments if the person could have applied earlier. This is not new, actually.

Your wife, if otherwise eligible, may sign up for spousal benefits now, since you have already filed for your own (many years ago); if her spousal is greater than any other benefit she is collecting or eligible for, she would likely want to consider switching to spousal.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Urgent! There is just one more step needed, so thank you for finishing up!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional