Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,

My aunts is 90 and my uncle died in 1995. My aunt worked

Customer Question

my aunts is 90 and my uncle died in 1995. My aunt worked for the Federal Govt. My uncle wan in the Navy from approximately 1940 until 1945. Then worked in the private sector until his death in 1995 at the age of 71. My aunt said that she was told by the SS Adm. that she was not eligibly to receive his annuity because it would be double dipping.
This doesn't sound right?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 7 months ago.

Although it is true that she cannot "double dip" she is entitled to receive a benefit that is the greater of her own benefit (based on her earnings record) or his benefit. Social Security has responded in a vague and confusing manner here and she should appeal their decision.

Additionally, she is also entitled to a death benefit as his widow. While not large every penny helps. She should apply for that if she has not yet received it.