LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I just got married, my husband and I. Are both disabled, if

Customer Question

I just got married , my husband and I. Are both disabled , if one of should die can the other one draw off of the larger amount . we live in Illinois, and is there a time limit of time that we would have to be married ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

In order for one of you to receive a survivor benefit based on your spouse's social security record, it will be necessary that the two of you are married for a minimum of 9 months before the death of one of you.

After 9 months, you will have been married long enough to qualify for a survivor benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug