Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

My mom just passed away and was drawing ss off of my dad.

Customer Question

My mom just passed away and was drawing ss off of my dad. Will his ss increase now since she passed and is no longer drawing off of him?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can see u

I am very, very sorry for your loss.

OK, your dad's own benefit never reduced when your mom started collecting a spousal benefit. What she got was extra, not actually PART of his, but extra in addition to his. So no, his benefit will not pop up now that she is no longer taking a benefit. Each living person gets ONE benefit amount. That said, if there were OTHER dependents taking a benefit based on his work record, such as minor or disabled adult children, theirs could rise if mom no longer collecting meant there was more to split of the "family" amount, which gets split amongst the eligible dependents.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!