Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My names E Alvarez.i am an American citizen my whole life.i

Customer Question

My names Cynthia E Alvarez.i am an American citizen my whole life.i have been receiving text messages from a government agency www.uscis.gov.i believe my social security number has been compromised and don't know what to do.i received 5 text messages from this agency today alone.it unfortunately isn't the first time.i am disabled and honestly prayed this problem would go away.in previous years someone even filed my tax returns fraudulently. I know I need a new social security number.my present one is###-##-####please advise me whAt I can do.i checked on that site the messages were accompanied with case numbers.they are:src0800758667,src0800758764,please help me.thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question -- the US government will NEVER text message you - and the US CIS is part of the US government. In this, it's likely a scam. It's unlikely that any damage has been done to you at this point, but I would go to www.ic3.org and report the text messages. I would also go to annualcreditreport.com and get a copy of your credit report and check for any unusual activity.

If you feel like you really need a new social security number here are the steps to follow:

We can assign a different number only if:

• Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;
  • More than one person is assigned or using the same number;
  • A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;
  • There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment; or
  • An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)

When we assign a different Social Security number, we do not destroy the original number. We cross-refer the new number with the original number to make sure the person receives credit for all earnings under both numbers.

People who want to ask for a new Social Security number must:

• Apply in person at a Social Security office;
  • Complete an application;
  • Provide a statement explaining the reasons for needing a new number;
  • Provide current, credible, third-party evidence documenting the reasons for needing a new number; and
  • Provide original documents establishing:
    • U.S. citizenship or work-authorized immigration status;
    • Age;
    • Identity; and
    • Evidence of a legal name change, if appropriate.

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3789/Can-I-change-my-Social-Security-number

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.