Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney

I'm 64 a widow and collect my husbands social security. He

Customer Question

i'm 64 a widow and collect my husbands social security. He died at age 58. i have earned enough credits to qualify for benifits.can i start collecting on mine and not lose my husbands benifits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.No, you cannot collect on both. You can only receive the highest of the two benefits. You would probably be best served to keep the survivor benefit until age 70 and grow hours as high as possible. No matter what you will only receive the higher of the two.Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?