Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am 66 as of 11/1/15 My wife turned 65 today 3/18/16. I

Customer Question

I am 66 as of 11/1/15 My wife turned 65 today 3/18/16. I would like to file and suspend my SS benefits until 70. How is the best way for my wife to file and collect the spousal benefit?
Bob
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question. The easiest thing to do would be to go to the social security office together. You can file a restricted application (file and suspend) and then your wife can file for benefits. Your benefit will continue to accrue until you draw it -- until age 70. Take it when you're 70 because there's no point in waiting any longer than that.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.