LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

On Feb. 8, 2016 I applied in person at a SS office security

Customer Question

On Feb. 8, 2016 I applied in person at a SS office for social security benefits from my first husband. I brought all the requested paperwork. The person whon reviewed my case
said I would receive the next SS check, with an increased amount, this month.
I checked with the bank and found that the SS check was the same amount as the
month before.Should I go back to SS office to clarify this?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good evening Mary Lynne,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While you may have been told that the deposit would change the next month---that was simply not the truth in the majority of circumstances. It usually takes social security between 2 and 3 months to get your new benefit started. The clerk you spoke with you simply wasn't very honest with you in telling you that----they tend to be overly optimistic to avoid arguments. I am sorry.

If you don't have the greater amount by next month, then go to the social security office and make an inquiry as well as file a complaint.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,