TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction

I work School system and pay TRS instead of Social Security.

Customer Question

I work for the School system and pay TRS instead of Social Security. I also work on the side and pay social security. How will this affect me at retirement. Will I get both TRS and Social Security? I don't know who to ask this question and would like to plan accordingly.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

If you have worked other jobs besides being a teacher, you may be eligible to receive Social Security benefits, but you must be qualified to receive them. In order to be qualified, you must have earned 40 “credits”.

The Windfall Elimination Provision may affect how SSA calculates your retirement or disability benefit. If you work for an employer who does not withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, such as a government agency or an employer in another country, any pension you get from that work may reduce your Social Security benefits.

SSA has a chart here that shows how you will be effected

IRS cannot answer your questions about this speak with SSA.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 7 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded