I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss Brenda. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Brenda, there may be a problem here. Social Security would never ask you to send in your original birth certificate---and you never should have done that.
While social security does return documents that you may submit to support a claim, they also don't just send you a letter out of the blue telling you that they owe you money.
1. Did you have ANY contact with social security regarding your husband's death before you received this letter in the mail?
2. When did your husband pass----month and date?
3. When did you get this letter in the mail?
4. What was the address you mailed these documents to?
5. How long ago did you mail them?
6. What sort of benefit was your husband receiving?
7. What was the last benefit payment your husband received before his death?
In case you would rather discuss all of this over the phone I am willing to offer you a phone call for just $5 more. Just ask if you want me to call. Otherwise I will continue to respond in this written format.