LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My husband just recently passed away and I received a notice

Customer Question

My husband just recently passed away and I received a notice in the mail saying he was owed a check at the time of his passing I sent in a certified death certificate our marriage license and the original copy of my birth certificate the letter said I would get these documents back but I haven't received anything will they send a letter on whether I am eligible for his check and if not will my kids be and when will they send my documents back to me
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss Brenda. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Brenda, there may be a problem here. Social Security would never ask you to send in your original birth certificate---and you never should have done that.

While social security does return documents that you may submit to support a claim, they also don't just send you a letter out of the blue telling you that they owe you money.

1. Did you have ANY contact with social security regarding your husband's death before you received this letter in the mail?

2. When did your husband pass----month and date?

3. When did you get this letter in the mail?

4. What was the address you mailed these documents to?

5. How long ago did you mail them?

6. What sort of benefit was your husband receiving?

7. What was the last benefit payment your husband received before his death?

In case you would rather discuss all of this over the phone I am willing to offer you a phone call for just $5 more. Just ask if you want me to call. Otherwise I will continue to respond in this written format.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Hi Brenda,

I am here waiting to assist you. However, I can't assist you if you won't provide the information I asked for. Thanks in advance,