Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.

If a wife retires before her husband does she receive any

Customer Question

if a wife retires before her husband does she receive any part of his social security befits till he retires
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 7 months ago.

Hi Karin,

No, typically, to be eligible for a "spousal" benefit, the worker spouse must have FILED for his own to trigger the other spouse's spousal eligibility. If your spouse CAN file for his own, but doesn't want to because he wants his own to grow his own benefit amount by deferring to some year up to age 70, let him know that he CAN file and suspend now, if it will get you a spousal benefit that you wish to collect now, and his suspension will not be a blanket suspension (i.e. it won't prevent you your spousal benefits). However, if he does so after late April, his suspension (any suspension) will be a "blanket suspension" and won't allow you to collect. So thoughts to file and suspend to trigger spousal benefit rights must be done soon.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!