Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I collect SSI, age 75 female divorced. was on disability

Customer Question

I collect SSI, age 75 female divorced. was on disability from 2001 then when 65 did I go to regular retirement? I get $1574 per month. ssi ####-##-#### *****###-##-####A. Should I be applying for the program that ends 4-30-2016? how do I do it? so many ads confusing. Glenys Stannard
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.

There is nothing for you to do. The new law does not have any impact on you.

The new law will not take away your benefits or any benefits that you are entitled to. The new law essentially deals with two strategies some retirees were using to maximize their benefits namely: file and suspend and restricted spousal application.

File and suspend deals with when both husband and wife have reached their full retirement age. One would file and suspend his benefits so that the other would apply for spousal benefits only. Then the other spouse would apply for benefits when he reaches age 70. This would maximize their benefits. Under the new law, this loophole has been closed. So, when a spouse files and suspends, all benefits would be suspended preventing his spouse from applying under his earnings.

The other one is restricted spousal application where one spouse can elect just to apply for spousal benefits only and then apply for her own benefits later. This would no longer be allowed for any one that has not turned age 62 by the end of December 2015.

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.