LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I'm 72, my wife is 63, can she take a spousal Social

Customer Question

I'm 72, my wife is 63, can she take a spousal Social Security and then at 66 switch to her own social security amount?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Dave,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

No, unfortunately, your wife can't take a spouse benefit now and switch to her own benefit at 66. By her taking a spouse benefit now she is deemed to be applying for her own benefit and while they will pay the greater of the two benefits, her own retirement benefit will never increase except for cost of living.

To maximize her benefits, she needs to wait to age 66 to take a Restricted Spouse benefit and then her own benefit will continue to grow by 32% more to age 70. Then at 70 she can take her absolute maximum benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug