Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

IF i APPLY .S AND GET IT GOING AND RECEIVE DOCUMENTATION

Customer Question

iF i APPLY FOR S.S AND GET IT GOING AND RECEIVE DOCUMENTATION FROM MY DOCTOR THAT I HAVE DISABLILTY, CAN I SUBMIT THAT AND GET S.S.I? WHEN I APPLY FOR S.S HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECEIVE IT? AND IF I APPLY FOR S.S.I. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO RECEIVE IT? I AM 64 YRS. OLD.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, SSI is only for the poor aged or poor disabled - so this will depend on your other income. But, if poor and found disabled and if you income from Social Security and other countable income and resources are very low, you can get a remaining portion from SSI to get you up to at least the SSI amount.

When you apply for SS, I assume you mean social security retirement. The SSA recommends filing 3 months before the month you wish to start. SSI, if based on age and poorness, can happen faster, but not by much. When you apply for SSI when you are not quite old enough to be aged (like at age 64), you must prove disabled, so that itself can take anywhere between 3 months and a few years, depending on the strength and details included in your medical proofs.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!