Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm 65 I will be 66 in December, I was told I can apply and

Customer Question

I'm 65 I will be 66 in December, I was told I can apply for benefits and keep working and not lose any benefits as long as my income from working is under 36,000 a year. Do I pay taxes on the ssi benefits, my wife is 60 and still working and has a higher paying job.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

With regard to your post:

"I'm 65 I will be 66 in December, I was told I can apply for benefits and keep working and not lose any benefits as long as my income from working is under 36,000 a year. Do I pay taxes on the ssi --- I think you mean Social Security, not SSI which is not Social Security) benefits, my wife is 60 and still working and has a higher paying job." Typically, yes, you will end up paying taxes on Social Security benefit when you have substantial other income. Which portion of SS is taxed and which is untaxed depends on your level of "combined income", which you can find here, to determine where your taxed amount will fall.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!